Crime Genres – knowing the rules and knowing how to subvert them
Provides students with a thorough analysis of the major rules and conventions of the various sub-genres of crime fiction.
Looks at how to make a piece of original writing in the crime genre work with an emphasis on balancing plot, place, people and pace.
- The elements of the main sub genres of crime fiction:
- police procedural
- social crime fiction
- The ingredients of crime fiction
- The difference between plot and story
- Place – it’s more than just scenery
- People – how to make characters come to life
- Pace – keeping up the momentum
- Workshopping – learning how to critique and edit a piece of writing in a group